While the usual crime and political stories (sometimes it is hard to tell which is which) are featured as usual, three posts, two in the Turner Report Top 10 and one in the Inside Joplin Obituaries.
A teacher affects many lives, but when one is in the classroom for nearly four decades as Martha Condon, (pictured) a long time teacher in the Jasper R-5 School District who died this week at age 95, was, the lessons touch thousands of lives. Though her obituary was posted only a few hours ago on Inside Joplin Obituaries, it already has received more visitors than all but one for the week.
Another person who is no longer with us, but who touched many lives is Dick Ferguson of Carthage, who died in November 2008 at age 88. Mr. Ferguson was a survivor of the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor and each year on December 7, I post the article I wrote about him after his death. This year's post is in the Turner Report Top 10.
Another one that made the Turner Report Top 10 this week was Senator Roy Blunt's tribute to the late President George H. W. Bush, who died at age 94.
Though these are people whose presence is missed, it is good to see that their contributions are remembered and will continue to be.
Don't forget that copies of Newton County Memories, my Joplin Tornado books and the rest of my books are available, many at reduced prices.
I will be posting the specials a few more times over the next several days.
I am also having a special on e-books, which will I post Sunday.
Thanks to all of you who have subscribed, renewed your subscriptions or made contributions to the Turner Report/Inside Joplin. If you haven't contributed recently, please consider putting some Christmas cheer in this one-man news operation of any amount, small or large, at the PayPal buttons below the Top 10 links or by sending your contribution to Randy Turner, 2306 E. 8th, Apt. A, Joplin, MO 64801
The Turner Report
1. Probable cause: Joplin man tried to force woman to give him oral sex while his four-year-old was in the car
2, Carthage Police Department arrests two Joplin Honkeys on kidnapping, assault charges
3. Joplin man handed life sentence for strangulation murder of girlfriend had lengthy criminal history
4. Rohr loses out on Florida city manager position
5. As Joplin man awaits sentencing on child pornography charge, brother, sister, ask judge for mercy
6. Joplin R-8 Board sets special meeting to approve $700K remodeling of Memorial
7. Blunt: President Bush stood up straight, took responsibility, shared the credit and took the blame
8. Remembering Dick Ferguson and the Day That Will Live in Infamy
9. U. S. Department of Transportation awards $25 million to complete I-49 connecting Missouri, Arkansas
10. Billy Long: Protecting Table Rock homeowners with a common sense solution
1. Man arrested on burglary, meth charges after leaving selfies for Joplin Police
2. Trucker arrested for DWI, five felonies after leading Highway Patrol on chase from Vernon County into Barton County
3. Search warrant execution at Carthage home results in arrest of three women on meth, drug trafficking charges
4. Joplin man sought in connection with abuse of four-year-old
5. Joplin man transferred to Springfield burn center, six people displaced after fire at 301 S. Pearl
6. Winter storm watch issued for Newton, McDonald counties
7. Baxter Springs man arrested after leading Highway Patrol, Barton County deputies on two-county chase
8. Webb City teen seriously injured in collision on 59 near Diamond
9. Pedestrian killed on I-44 in Joplin
10. Jasper County Dissolution of Marriage Petitions
Inside Joplin Obituaries
1. Tim Hensley
2. Martha Condon
3. Jackie Rae
4. Edmund Fenske
5. David Tharp
6. Jimmy Fry
7. Carol Humphrey
8. Francis Woods
9. Doran Haggard
10. Joan Peppers
Help support the Turner Report/Inside Joplin by subscribing or contributing using the PayPal buttons below or by sending your contribution of any size, large or small to Randy Turner, 2306 E. 8th, Apt A, Joplin, MO. Thank you.