Friday, December 18, 2020

Why didn't any of you tell me Abbie Covington has a blog? Can the Turner Report survive?


I attacked a blogger and I didn't even know it.

A reader sent me a link to a blog called the Joplin Sentinel and wrote, "You have to see this."

Abbie Covington, the mask-hating scourge of Joplin City Council meetings, is a blogger.

Why didn't anybody tell me?

It could be worse. After all, Geoff Caldwell is still blogging. The blog mostly consists of the same brand of populism she has shared with Joplin residents every time the mask ordinance is on the council agenda. She describes her blog as "news and opinions from a conservative perspective."







Thankfully, I gave her a more interesting topic to write about this time. Instead of masks, she wrote today about someone whose appearance is vastly improved by a mask- me.

The headline reads, "24 Hours Ago, I Was Attacked," apparently a play on the headline I used after I was punched by someone who was unhappy with the Turner Report three years ago.

The subhead reads, "Stone Age blogger fears for his popularity, lashes out at young competition."

She rips into me for being old, for still using Blogger to do my blog (not following the example of hip, groovy bloggers like her) and for not doing research.

What a pity that it took him 40 years to learn how to write but it seems he's still reliant on ad hominem attacks instead of doing the work it takes to produce an actual argument.

Later in the column, she says my attack on her has inspired her to compete with me for the blogging audience.

 "It's about time Joplin had a real blogger," she said, adding a mention of my firing from the Joplin R-8 School District.

I was always afraid this would happen. For 17 years, I  have wondered if the Turner Report could survive if a real blogger ever surfaced.

Can my rudimentary Stone Age blogging skills enable me to survive an onslaught of competition from someone younger, more energetic, with no mask to encumber her?

Pardon me while I tremble.


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

https://www.quora.com/Why-cant-we-just-split-the-United-States-into-two-nations-based-on-political-orientation-Its-clear-that-there-are-blue-states-and-red-states-Why-force-one-sector-upon-the-other-Why-not-just-leave-each-other-alone/answer/Abigail-Covington-1

Anonymous said...

"I was one of 9 kids so sometimes my parents forgot I even existed, so today I crave attention and I find all the attention I need by being involved in politics...which should be a warning sign in itself."

Anonymous said...

https://www.quora.com/Have-you-ever-been-asked-to-join-a-pyramid-scheme-How-did-you-shut-the-person-down-who-was-asking/answer/Abigail-Covington-1

"Have you ever been asked to join a pyramid scheme? How did you shut the person down who was asking?
Abigail Covington
·
March 31
Business owner with Young Living Essential Oils

Why would I shut them down? If you don’t want to join, just say No. No need to get all high and mighty about how someone else chooses to make a living."

Anonymous said...

Why can't we just split the United States into two nations based on political orientation? It's clear that there are blue states and red states. Why force one sector upon the other? Why not just leave each other alone?
Abigail Covington
·
February 17, 2016
Politically involved since 2004.
Originally Answered: Why can't we just split up the United States?

We tried that back in 1860. We basically had blue above the Mason-Dixon line and grey below it. It would have worked and should have worked, but men wanted power and were willing to send their people to die in order to keep that power. After they won, the government and the people's understanding of the government changed so that now, instead of 50 small countries closely allied with each other, we have 1 large country with most of the power vested in one central government. It makes little difference whether you live in Virginia or California. So now we're all mixed up and no one region is largely of the same political leaning.


https://www.quora.com/Why-cant-we-just-split-the-United-States-into-two-nations-based-on-political-orientation-Its-clear-that-there-are-blue-states-and-red-states-Why-force-one-sector-upon-the-other-Why-not-just-leave-each-other-alone/answer/Abigail-Covington-1

Anonymous said...

That blog is hideous, as is the mind of the author.

Anonymous said...

Yikes!

Proverbs 17:28

Anonymous said...

I will keep reading The Turner Report, Inside Joplin and Inside Joplin Obituaries on a daily basis, just as I have done for several years, since I discovered your blog.
I don't like loud mouthed attention grabbing women.
I am a conservative, but I read your blogs because they provide me with local news, interesting content, as well are variations on opinions.
I know you are a democrat, but I won't hold that against you, as long as you respect that I am a republican.

I believe that is called, being civilized adults.

Keep up the good work Randy.

Anonymous said...

Her blog may be hip and groovy, but it takes forever for it to load!

Anonymous said...

Yup. She's a bible thumper spinster who's anti-sex and sees her views as the final word we should all be held to. I grew up around a type of people with similar views to Covington, and in my experience people like her love to espouse fundamentalist views because they believe the authority of God is on their side so you are thusly always correct and in possession of the truth.

Anonymous said...

Yeah she thought she was landing punches with the shots at Randy's choice of blog host but that's a lame non-burn that seems hur dur, really.

Anonymous said...

Who in their right mind has 9 kids? Nobody does this but the religous loonies who are convinced they have an imperative. Anybody really want 8 siblings? I shared a bathroom with my brother growing up and just one other person can easily get in your way and often. Imagine saying to a woman in the 21st century "I want you to be pregnant for me 9 times. Sound good?"

Anonymous said...

You need to up your game 3:38am. All the fundies know the line that works best for filling the quiver with quiverfull kids would be "Pastor Feelme told me that Jeebus wants you to be pregnant for me 9 times. Sound good?"

Abbie Covington said...

After scrolling through all the articles and exiting the ads....I'm here!

I'm a little bummed out, Randy. It was just starting to get good, we were on a roll, but this is all you got? Oh well. It was fun. Hit me up again sometime and we'll go another round.

Anonymous said...

6:21:

I concur.

Anonymous said...

Abbie is trying to say using Blogger is lame.... yet has no clue how to use an adblocker.

Anonymous said...



I am trying to imagine what all these Jethros and Jethrines will do when they start hearing about tracking cookies following them around on the internet!

Not to mention their apps on their smart phones probably using location services to track them.


If any of them signed up for Trump's campaign...https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/hdf3o7/trumps_datahungry_invasive_app_is_a_voter/