Position: Director of Facilities
Term: Full-Time/12 Month
Location: Buildings, Grounds, and Transportation Office
Qualifications: College diploma or equivalent technical training helpful but not
Experience in construction trades with at least five years in a large scale maintenance supervisory position desired. Also, experience in the fields of architecture and/or engineering a plus.
Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board and Administration may find acceptable.
Reports to: Assistant Superintendent of Operations
The Director of Facilities will work to perform supervisory and planning duties for Support Services areas of buildings, grounds, and maintenance.
- Supports the mission of Joplin Schools.
- Supports the value of education.
- Complies with the privacy rights of students.
- Safeguards confidential and/or sensitive information.
- Communicates effectively with all the members of the school district and community.
- Provides excellence in customer service both internally and externally.
- Reacts to change productively.
- Keeps abreast of new information, innovative ideas and techniques.
- Maintains accurate records and filing systems for accountability and audit purposes.
- Ensures that all activities conform to district and state guidelines.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals.
- Respond to common inquires or complaints from patrons, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Effectively present information to top management, public groups, employee groups, and/or Board of Directors.
- Be able to work with mathematical concepts as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete and abstract variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Interpret a variety or instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, and the community.
- Perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education Policies.
- Develop and administer a District-wide buildings and grounds program, including program planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Manages the planning process for building and maintaining facilities needed to deliver the program of instruction.
- Oversee the cleaning and custodial services (and staff) of the buildings.
- Oversee the handling of hazardous and other waste.
- Supervise and inspect major projects of building repairs and remodeling, overseeing general contract work at the respective facilities
- Work with architects and contractors on project problems.
- Perform minor surveying, blueprint reading, line locations such as water, sewer, gas, telephone, electric, CATV, etc.
- Manage employee bids on open positions
- Be involved in the interview and hiring process for buildings and grounds positions
- Annually update the Building Summaries Book.
- Initiate bid requests and apply for state prevailing wage rates for projects.
- Conduct inspections of each school district facility on a monthly basis.
- Oversees the corrective and preventive maintenance programs for the District’s physical plants and the motor fleet.
- Coordinates the procurement of contractors’ services for maintenance and construction projects funded by the budget
- Supervise the development and the administration of Buildings and Grounds Programs.
- Supervise, evaluate, and direct the work of all Buildings and Grounds supervisors.
- Coordinates the District’s energy management system.
- Interpret school rules and regulations.
- Supervise the staffing of Buildings and Grounds personnel.
- Direct the evaluation of Buildings and Grounds personnel and programs.
- Relate Capital Project needs and Buildings and Grounds operating needs in the preparation of the budget.
- Administer the department’s approved budget.
- Oversees the inspection, maintenance, and repair of school buses and other vehicles owned by the District.
- Play a significant leadership role in fostering professional growth and building of staff morale throughout the area of Buildings and Grounds.
- On call at all times for security alarm callbacks.
- Carry out all other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand or sit. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.
Regular and consistent attendance is an essential function of this position.
The work conditions and environment described here are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Conditions and Environment
The noise level in this position varies. When visiting a building or on a job site the noise level may be loud, in the office, quiet and at meetings, moderate.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.