Monday, May 14, 2018

Moran: I will continue to pursue answers in Olympic sex abuse investigation

(From Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kansas)

As chairman of the Senate committee with jurisdiction over the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) and the national governing bodies, I spoke with Olympic Gold Medalist Aly Raisman regarding the abuse that she and hundreds of other athletes suffered at the hands of former USA Gymnastics (USAG) doctor Larry Nassar. Her story and others continue to reinforce and reinvigorate my determination to root out abuse in youth sport governing bodies. I remain hopeful for renewed commitment from all Olympic organizations to eradicate sexual abuse and other misconduct, and to raise a generation of athletes who feel safe competing in the sports they love.

In January, I questioned whether USAG and Michigan State University (MSU) tried to silence gymnasts with non-disclosure agreements and what the USOC is doing to prevent future atrocities. Additionally, I broadened my inquiries to include questions for all national governing bodies following reports that revealed two USOC executives were alerted of possible sexual misconduct by Nassar a year before he was suspended from treating athletes. In April, I chaired a hearing to provide a forum for survivors of abuse to discuss specific concerns and challenges in preventing abuse within their respective sports. I will continue to pursue answers in this investigation so that we can make lasting change.

No comments: