Saturday, May 26, 2018

Roy Blunt: Pell Grants make college affordable for students

(From Sen. Roy Blunt)

One out of 3 students at Missouri colleges and universities are eligible for Pell Grants. That’s why, as Chairman of the Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies, I led efforts to restore year-round Pell, allowing students to receive an extra Pell Grant to stay enrolled throughout the year. I was also able to increase the maximum Pell Grant award to $6,095, an increase of 3 percent, to help make college more affordable.

I traveled across Missouri, from Springfield to Cape Girardeau and St. Louis, to speak with students, educators, and college administrators and heard how Pell Grants are helping them.

Here are just a few of the stories I heard from my roundtable meetings:
"The Pell Grant has given me the opportunity to stay in school because I had to wait until I was 25 because I couldn't afford to go before I was 23 or 24." - Ashley White, Truman State University, student

"It was pretty disheartening at times to tell a student that they weren't going to have any money to go to school in the summer. Now we don't have to do that." - Artie Fowler, Moberly Area Community College's Higher Education Center, director

"[Year-round Pell] made all the difference. Without it I'm not sure how I would've paid for college." - Stormi Potts, Missouri Southern State University, student

"I can leave Crowder College debt-free, and that's going to be extremely beneficial, an extra stressor I don't have to worry about." - Amy Levya, Crowder College, student

I know firsthand the importance of being able to go to school year-round. I became the first person in my family to earn a college degree, and since I took classes during the summer, I was able to do it in three years.

For first generation college students and non-traditional students, staying enrolled through the summer can make a big difference. Year-round Pell Grants will help more students stay on track for graduation, enter the workforce sooner, and graduate with less debt.

Every Missourian should have access to a high-quality, affordable post-secondary education. Year-round Pell Grants will help more students achieve their goals and provide the foundation they need to get ahead.

I congratulate all of this year’s graduates, and look forward to seeing even more graduation caps in the air next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am part of whats left of the middle class, I don't get any help. I get to pick up all tabs for the poor and the wealthy.

Anonymous said...

O.K. Fantastic. Just pull that money from the magic "Pell Grant Tree" while cutting taxes for your rich buddies as you increase taxes on gas. Sheer genius.