Saturday, September 01, 2018

Kim Frencken: When do we draw the line at free programs?

As teachers we are aware of the number of free programs that children receive. Probably more aware than the general public. I've had mixed feelings about some of these programs for some time. I know I'm a throwback to ancient times, but it is my tax dollars (and yours) that keep these programs alive. I think I've earned the right to have an opinion on the matter since I am helping to provide the funding. So... I'll jump right in the deep end.

For starters, let me state that I had nothing against a child receiving needed medical care or food. I think of children as the victim, not the problem. What is the problem? A cycle that keeps repeating itself with every generation. Families raising new government program recipients who have no intention of trying to have a 'better life' by getting off the gravy train. (Now, I've done it.) Let's face some facts. Generally speaking, people who are born into poverty (a.k.a. welfare) stay there. If I've heard once, I've heard it a million times, "I don't want to get an education and get a job. Why would I? My parents get everything they want from the government." I've even had parents tell me to quit trying to teach their kid to read because they don't need to learn. They won't ever get a job. And this my dear reader, is no exaggeration. I could tell story after story of people that are capable of working, but have learned to milk the system. Some stories are too graphic to repeat here.



What is wrong with society? Let me tell you. We started down a path, long before my generation, and we can't seem to change course. The original program was in no means designed to support generations of non-working families. The program started as a way to help people survive while they got back on their feet. Fast forward a few years, add in laziness, entitlement, and attitude and we have a hot mess.

We not only fund this mess, we created it. Governmental red tape has made it too difficult to cut through all the garbage and find the truth. People who refuse to learn in school, have learned how to beat the system at home. Why would someone want to get a minimum wage job when they can get better health care, better food, and all the digital trinkets they want on government assistance? It is too easy. That's why. Getting up and making yourself presentable and going to work is too hard. It is easier to stay in bed, spend the day in your jammies, and wait on the mail.

Do I sound furious? That's because I am. We are failing children every day with lower expectations in learning and discipline. Now, you want me to continue getting up at 5 am and working 10+ hour days so that my taxes can support a younger generation that is too lazy to work.

Let me tell you a story about a young mother who came home one day to find that her husband had left her. Not only did he take the car, he cleaned out the bank account. While she was at work. He left her and his kids behind. Did she ever take any type of government assistance? No. She came to work the next day with circles under her bloodshot eyes and asked for more hours. She put the house up for sale and drove an old clunker to work. I once asked her if she needed help. Yes, she did, but she would not accept it because this was her problem. No one else. Hers. She was too proud to accept assistance. She wanted to earn her way out of the poverty where she had suddenly found herself. Her children learned to work for a living and to take pride in the job that they did. They learned that hard work matters. Thirty years later, this lady still has my respect.

If more people had her attitude our kids would not need snack packs sent home for week-end meals or free lunches. Parents would accept responsibility and care for their children. Parents would not show up to school in PJ pants to pick up their kids 30 minutes late because they overslept. Our government programs would benefit those who truly need them. And most importantly our kids would be proud of earning an education and have supportive parents that were proud of them too.

(For more of Kim Frencken's writing, check out her blog, Chocolate For the Teacher.)

No comments: