I tested it out, expecting to come across some horrible porn site or something of that nature, but what I discovered was something much more horrific. Anyone who types that web address is automatically redirected to the Joplin Globe.
I had checked a few times to see if that domain name was available and it had not been, but rather than get angry I thought it was funny. Someone had played a practical joke.
I never believed for one moment that it was someone at the Globe.
I knew there were people who work at the Globe who are capable of such things. I remember a few years ago when a couple of the people who work there and who consider themselves to be the arbiters of everything cultural in Joplin wrote a blog post and comments about the 2007 YouTube video showing the band I was with, Natural Disaster, performing Johnny Rivers' Secret Agent Men, with me on the vocals.
They thought it was hilarious to make fun of me. Of course, if they had been paying attention they would have realized that they couldn't say anything negative about my singing or my stage movements or my appearance that I had not already said many times. I have never taken myself as seriously (though I am sure some of you will disagree) as those folks at the Globe who consider themselves to be the arbiter of what people should like.
So as more people have told me that it was indeed someone at the Globe who thought it would be hilarious to take the domain name www.turnerreport.com I did not find it hard to believe.
Apparently, there are people at the Globe who take me seriously.
Or not, depending on how you look at it.
One thing is for sure, they read the Turner Report.
I appreciate the opportunity to help the people at our area's newspaper of record find out what is going on in Joplin and the surrounding area.
The lists of the top 10 most visited posts for this week on the Turner Report, Inside Joplin and Inside Joplin Obituaries are featured below with links to each post.
Thanks again to those of you who have subscribed or made contributions to the Turner Report/Inside Joplin this week. If you have not done so, please consider subscribing or making a donation at the PayPal buttons below the links or by sending your contributions to Randy Turner, 2306 E. 8th, Apt. G, Joplin, MO.
Thanks for your readership and for your support.
The Turner Report
1. Children's Division Documents: Grandfather trying to manipulate Jayda Kyle murder investigation
2. Explosive court documents claim Jayda Kyle's mother turned her death into a social media event
3. Joplin City Finance Director: Why's everybody always picking on me?
4. Jason Vieselmeyer hired as North Middle School assistant principal
5. Joplin Police Department among agencies helping prepare for President Trump's visit to Springfield
6. Former crack baby whose mother was murdered, father died from heroin, wants lesser sentence for child sex crime
7. In jailhouse letter, accused Jayda Kyle killer says, "I've never been a part of anything so corrupt"
8. Bond reduction motion for man charged with using church youth group connection to molest underage boys denied
9. Galena man sentenced to life in prison for multiple child sex crimes
10. Federal grand jury indicts Joplin man on drug trafficking, weapons charges
1. Another missing woman reported in Joplin: Kristina Backes last seen seven weeks ago
2. Granby Police Department offers to test your meth to see if it's real or fake
3. Three injured in accident near Racine, Joplin woman charged with DWI, felony child endangerment
4. Joplin Police Department Weekend Arrests
5. Carl Junction man arrested in stolen vehicle
6. Cause of Joplin recycling center building fire under investigation, building is total loss
7. Jasper County Dissolution of Marriage Petitions
8. Joplin Police Department Arrests September 20-21
9. Jasper County Sheriff's Office Arrests
10. Pineville, Springfield residents injured in five-car chain reaction accident on I-44
Inside Joplin Obituaries
1. Mark Brewer
2. Jayden Korner
3. Donald Webb
4. Rhonda Hignite
5. Devin Hunt
6. Sharon Kimbrough
7. Bill Camp
8. Charlotte Miller
9. Sherrie Manuel
10. Kenneth Stewart
Help support the Turner Report/Inside Joplin news operation with a subscription or contribution. Help keep this alternative news source continue to provide news and commentary for the Joplin area. You can subscribe or make a contribution at the PayPal buttons below or you can mail a contribution, large or small, to Randy Turner, 2306 E. 8th, Apt. G, Joplin, MO