Monday, May 06, 2019

Nancy Hughes: Word for word

“But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day
of judgment for every careless word they have spoken.”
Matthew 12:36 (NIV)


It’s amazing to me how changing just a letter or two in a word can give it a completely new meaning. For example, a student came to my school nurse office and wanted to go home. I saw her on a daily basis and questioned whether she was truly sick.

“What exactly is wrong with you,” I asked her. I could tell by her face that she was searching for a terrible ailment that would allow her to leave when she suddenly grabbed her tummy and said “I am having pains in my stomach and have to go to the bathroom a lot. I have loose vowels.” Forgive me but there was a part of me that wanted to ask “A, E, I, O or U?”

I also remember a former student who was helping me load my car with some heavy purchases. “Did you know, Nurse Nancy, that I have secret powers?” he asked. I responded “Oh, really, David? I never knew that about you.” He slammed my car truck and gave me a knowing look. “I can predict the future. I . . . am . . . psychotic.” Lord have mercy.

Both of those comments were just an innocent mistake and no one was hurt. Both people simply used the wrong word. Today’s Scripture, however, talks about something totally different. Now, before you say “Well, yes, I know that I shouldn’t gossip or tell a lie,” let me share what I believe “careless word” also means.








We can hurt people by comments that we make when we are trying to pass judgment on them. I’m sure that we probably don’t see it that way. Maybe we just think that we are giving an opinion. But careless comments truly can damage a heart and chip away at God’s promise that we are priceless to Him. Here are just a few that come to mind:

“He will never be the athlete his brother was.”
“Everybody else seems to have learned the math concepts but you.”
“Dating only 2 months after his wife passed away. Isn’t that interesting.”
“Yes, I know she was baptized this week. We’ll see how long that lasts.”
“Are you really going to wear that dress?”

I have been guilty of making careless comments without thinking about the impact they could have on that person. And while I am so thankful for the forgiveness that Jesus offers each of us when we sin (Romans 4:7-8), I want more than anything to replace the careless with the caring . . . word for word.

Father, forgive me for those words that I have spoken that were hurtful and did not glorify you in any way. Help me to control my tongue. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.
R.A.P. it up . . .

Reflect


Have you ever made a questionable comment and then realized that the person was within hearing distance.

How did that make you feel? How do you think it made him/her feel?

Apply

When you are in conversations with people and are about to comment, picture the person who is being talked about standing next to you.

Now decide if what you are about to say would hurt or help them and respond accordingly.

Power

Matthew 12:36 (NIV) “But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken.”

Psalm 39:1 (NIV) “I said, “I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth, as long as the wicked are in my presence.”

Proverbs 10:19 (NIV) “When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.”

(For more of Nancy Hughes' writing, check out her blog, Encouragement from the War Room.)

No comments: