Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Joplin City Councilman after resignation: I am so very sorry I let you down

In a Facebook message posted two hours ago, newly-elected Joplin City Councilman Joshua Bard announced his resignation, citing a state statute that does not allow him to serve.


First, I want to say thank you to everyone who has supported me over these last several months. To many of you, it is no surprise that I have a past, a past that I'm not necessarily proud of at all. But we cannot allow ourselves to be defined by what we have done. I had hoped and still hope to use that example in my life. 
With that being said, I have resigned my position as a member of our Joplin City Council. In all the research I had done prior to running. I missed a MO Statute that prevents me from holding office. 
I want it to be known, I never intended on doing any harm to our city or our city council. I love this city and our governing of this city. To those that were counting on me. I am so very sorry I let you down!

The Joplin Globe reports Bard resigned after being told that a previous felony conviction from 2006 prevents him from holding elective office.



It is interesting that this was not brought up prior to the election since Bard has not tried to keep his history a secret.

After all, the statutes have been the same since Bard filed.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m highly suspicious of how this was brought up after the election. Josh Bard was open about his past publicly. His name was publicized in the paper upon filing. Who thought this was the time to create a scene ?
Voters showed he was a viable candidate.
Watch carefully who applies and is chose to fill that seat . There’s a reason for this....

Randy - can you request records from the city attorney how he came to find this out?

Anonymous said...

@7:41 Who cares! Why does there have to be a conspiracy under every rug? He is a FELON. HE CAN NOT SERVE. I'm sorry but it's one of the first statutes I noticed when looking over qualifications for public office.
If you ask me, he was high when he filed that lawsuit against the county commission. (that ought to get you going HAHA).

And yes Josh, your past DOES define you. It's all we have to go on.

Dusty Roads said...

anyone know what the felony conviction was for ?

dougjoyce said...

He should ask the governor for a pardon....

Anonymous said...

The Governor is going to be too busy pardoning himself.

Anonymous said...

What was the felony? In the old days, you did your time and started again with a clean slate. They don't let you do that now, even though some deserve to! This is sad! At least you tried, Mr.Bard.

Anonymous said...

Charge/Judgment
Description: Dist/Del/Manf/Produce Or Attempt To Or Possess W/Intent To Dist/Del/Manf/Produce A Controlled Substance { Felony B RSMo: 195.211 }

Anonymous said...

There is no argument here. He can't serve. There are a few zealots trying to save his carcass, but the court will ultimately decide he's got to go. It's the law. Only because Trump has ushered in an era of New Permissiveness for elected officials that Bard and his cronies are making the case that he can stay. The grounds for the Woolston resignation a few years ago pale in comparison to this. Greed and indulgence have replaced basic common sense and decency at every level of government for us fine Show-Me State residents.

Anonymous said...

Seems like the opportunity to check for this or call Mr Bard out for his criminal history was the 6 mos leading up to the election. Once the votes were counted and he was sworn in ... I think it’s remiss to say he was ineligible based on how many statutes that have been named?
An anonymous source ... sounds like a sore loser ( didn’t get Mayor) in my opinion.

Theresa Kenny - do the right thing

Unknown said...

I have to say, suing the commission and district served its purpose. The district is now in a much better place. With that being in my past, I'm glad that defines me.