Sunday, April 22, 2018

Two years have passed since my open heart surgery

You would think it would be one of those dates that would remain indelibly etched in my memory, but until a few moments ago, I thought today was the two-year anniversary of the open heart surgery that has kept me around a while longer.

As it turns out, a little research revealed to me the two-year anniversary was actually Saturday.

I am just grateful to be here to observe it, whatever day it was.

When it happened, I briefly wrote on Facebook about checking into Freeman on April 17, 2016, then I took my first real vacation from writing until I wrote a Turner Report post 12 days later detailing what had happened to me:

This is some of what I wrote two years ago:

Those who have read my Facebook page have known that on the early morning of Monday, April 17, approximately 2:30 p.m., I checked myself into the Freeman Emergency Room, not knowing I was in the process of having a heart attack.

Truth be told, it may have been a second one. I had a similar pain for a short time the previous evening. It went away quickly, but after a year that has seen me go undergo four stents, I decided I would go to the emergency room at the next hint of chest discomfort.

A quick procedure was done to implant a balloon which would stay in while my body was being drained of a blood thinner I had taken following the stents. The balloon stayed in for the next week, leaving me on my back in the Freeman ICU.

The procedure, a triple heart bypass, was conducted during a five-hour period the evening of Friday, April 21. I was told it was a success and now the hard part would begin- doing the necessary work to bring myself back to regular, ordinary life, as it is.

I did my best during this past week to do what I was told, not complain, and work toward being released as soon as possible. The hard-working people at Freeman have done so much for me over the past year, that I will never find a way to repay them.

The last thing they needed was some 60-year-old whiner, realizing that his life had taken a change for the worse and dragging everyone down into the mud with him. I won't say that I did not complain, but if I did, I quickly apologized for it and tried to do better the next time.

When it was time for four a.m. x-rays, three-times-a-day physical therapy, or having to take a dozen pills at a time when I was on a restricted liquid diet. (I have a hard time swallowing pills without plenty of water). I went along with it.

Finally, on Thursday, my last physical therapy session, took me into an area of the hospital where I could walk up and down stairs. I went up the stairs once and back down, but it was a big thrill when I was told, "You're ready."

Earlier this week, I had a checkup with the heart surgeon- things appear to be going nicely and I feel great.

Thanks to all of you who supported me through that time and in the two years that have followed.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you're here, too! Time has a way of slipping past and disappearing fast. Want you to know your work is appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Randy! Glad to hear you're doing well!

Keep up the great work! It's truly appreciated!!!

Anonymous said...

God bless you Randy

Anonymous said...

Too bad you didn’t die

Anonymous said...

@2:58 PM - You are a sick individual and are exactly what is wrong with this world.

Randy, do you have a way of revealing who this individual is? If so, please share. I think a lot of your readers would be interested in knowing what kind of individual would make such a comment.

Anonymous said...

Theres always one

Randy said...

I would be interested in knowing who it is, too, but I have no way of knowing.

Anonymous said...

The too bad you didnt die comment is ridiculous, obviously. There is humor in the fact that someone felt the need to express it. It is even funnier that you decided to post it for others to see. Looking for sympathy, maybe?

Randy said...

to Anonymous 10:51- I find your comment more offensive than the one who wanted me to die and I found it offensive. I also found that the comment did not contain any profanity, If I really wanted to get sympathy, I would print some of the ones that attack me, but who do so with offensive language. I have always published comments that were critical of me. In this case, my guess is that someone was trying to see if I would actually publish the comment and was betting that I wouldn't. Of course, it also gives a clear view of some of the people who do not like me or the Turner Report. There are some real class acts among them.

Anonymous said...

Randy, I am sorry that comment about wanting sympathy offended you. I assure you that it wasn't my intent. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't seep out when posting. I was trying to make light of someone's shortcomings and mirror what I thought the same type of person's reaction would be.
I can only imagine what an unfiltered comment section on here would look like. People in general are not kind.

Anonymous said...

Or two.