Saturday, April 21, 2018

Kim Frencken: E-Reader or book?

You can keep your E-Readers. Give me a book. I want to feel the weight in my hand. I want to turn the pages. I want to flip through to the end and take a sneak peak (yes, I'm one of those!). I want to put my finger on the print. Hear the crisp sound of paper turning.

I know there are those who disagree with me. Emphatically. They want digital or nothing. They want to download every title on their wishlist. Not me. I want to look at my book shelves and let my eyes gaze the titles before selecting my next adventure. I love being surrounded by my friends. There is a certain solace in the peace of a library.

Can you have too many books? NO. No way. Not at all. No such thing. Next best thing to a book??? A book catalog. Yep! A chance to drink in the pages and add to my library, pick out gifts, salivate. I'm like a kid in a candy store. And then the big day arrives. The box is delivered. My anticipation never wanes. It grows with each order. I open the box and imagine the look on the face of the recipient. Priceless.

Can you borrow a book? Ummm... did you notice the beautiful weather we're having? Can you borrow a book? How do I say no politely? I'd rather buy a copy for you than loan one of my 'kids' to you. To have my kids in your hands while you eat your late night snack or if you catch a cold. I can't even bear to think about it. I know you'll be careful, but accidents happen. Shudder. Just wait until I get my next catalog. Shipping only takes about five days.

(For more of Kim Frencken's writing and information about her educational products, check out her blog Chocolate For the Teacher.)

No comments: