Sunday, April 22, 2018

Message from Josh Bard: I haven't been defeated

Newly-elected Joplin City Councilman Josh Bard resigned last week after being told that state statutes made it illegal for him to hold office. He later rescinded that resignation after discovering information that his status might not be so cut and dried.

Jasper County Prosecuting Attorney Theresa Kenney is scheduled to decide later this week if Bard can serve on the City Council.

Bard shared the following letter with the Turner Report:

To Those It May Concern,

I have read hundreds of comments over the last few days. Some of them haven't been nice, but the majority have been very inspiring. This letter is to those that know the 1 in 10, struggling or have struggled with addiction. 

To those that are dealing with an addiction or have and are doing all they can to pull themselves up and move on. This is a victory! 

Regardless of the verdict given by the County Prosecutor next week. I will either serve my community to the best of my ability as a councilman or I will fix what is wrong and serve my community to the best of my ability until I have the chance to run again. 

Change is the answer! I haven't been defeated because I can change the outcome with time. 

Just as every person with or without a past, good or bad. Joshua 1:9 reads, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Whether or not you believe in God. Your past doesn't have to define your future. It's ok to forgive yourself and reach for the stars. You can change the outcome! But you have to let go and allow that change to happen. 

We as a community have an opportunity to reach out to our youth. 

In a study of high school students, nearly 44% of the students know of someone who sells drugs. When asked what type of drugs. These were the responses. 91% said marijuana 24% said prescription drugs 9% said cocaine 7% said ecstasy I want to be the example of what you can become after the addiction. But as a community we can help stop the problem before it becomes one. 

Our youth are our most important commodity. We should treat them as such! With that being said, I want to thank you all for the support you have shown me.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

We complain about the lack of reabilation over crowding of jails drug addiction and sale of drugs if one person is saved from this by this man then not only did he show you can over come but be a blessing to the one he might have shown that it can be done he is a winner.

Concerned citizen said...

Tough luck,laws are determinate

Anonymous said...

I believe in second chances. I know people can get and stay clean. If you serve your sentence, that should be the end of it. Too many people are made to pay all of their life for their mistakes.
If you change your life, you should not have your past held against you.

Anonymous said...

I agree got dwi felony not nearly as bad as meth 9 years ago out fo 8or9hundred resumes 3 interviews as soon as the background check came back nothing. but on the bright side the great state of missouri has paid me $24,000 thousand in foodstamps does this make sense not. but ole dingle dean got his felony conviction

Anonymous said...

I wish you the very best and believe you would be a great Councilman.

Anonymous said...

You done wrong. You pay the price. No whining. No being a baby.

Anonymous said...

I was telling my son in jail today that he can still do anything it is about forgiveness and the world needs to change and stop badgering people that change and are living right!!

Anonymous said...

Exactly right. Actions have consequences, no matter how harsh they may seem.

Anonymous said...

Most of us in Joplin had no idea of Mr Bards criminal background because he Didnt tell us. He broke the law on multiple occasions in the past and now somehow believes the laws don't apply to him. Im glad his life appears headed in a positive direction, but not the person I want representing me after all.

Anonymous said...

@7:22 Agreed. To me it seems like there was a concerted effort to suppress the fact that he was a "convicted felon". The press should bear some of this blame as well. Yes we knew he was a meth addict who is in recovery and that he was arrested. We know he has turned his life around. I personally just figured he had a couple of misdemeanors (or had pled to in an agreement). Casenet had his case numbers but no info at all is available on the cases. I voted for the man, and like you, I no longer want his representation.

Anonymous said...

This guy...
He resigns but then says he doesn't because he isn't breaking a law because he was already elected and the time to prevent him from being a councilman was before the election when he was running and when he was breaking the law. What?
That kind of logic is the same logic that says that there are laws in place to prevent people from crossing the border illegally, but if they make it across the border let them stay. So stupid. Laws are in place for a reason and just because you get away without for a bit doesn't mean you are innocent or legitimate.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if additional charges will be brought against Mr Bard for signing off that he was qualified to serve when the law states the opposite?

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome sentiment. However, it is also completely unrealistic.

Anonymous said...

You screwed up, not the judge.
No it doesn't make sense that you recieve foodstamps. You should go hungry or take whatever job your poor life chooses have left you with.