Thursday, January 10, 2019

Paul Richardson: Here comes the sun- or what winter does to us

I know that it is only mid-January and, yes, it’s still winter, but the days are getting longer. The increase in sun-time is already noticeable and that’s a good thing.

Once we moved past the winter solstice we all know that things are starting to move our way. We don’t think about it much after the summer solstice, how the days are getting shorter that is, because the summer heat is just beginning to peak and those narrowing daylight hours just creep up on us. 

Give us a few days of cold weather and, God forbid, a couple days of snow and our light hour sensitivity becomes like a Spider Man skill set.

My conditions were just right as the official sunrise was occurring long after I had began my day. So it becomes apparent since I had been arriving in town in darkness, that the morning is becoming enlightened. 



Likewise in the evening, sunset was occurring before I could get home and in the house. So last night I was home, had done a couple of things and noticed that it was still light enough that I could have ventured outside and been fine without artificial light assistance. Now, understand that I did not venture outside, I just could have if I so desired. Didn’t desire it, didn’t do it.

This increase in light wealth always gets me activated. There are things to do and things to plan. 

The next thing you know summer will be here and we must be ready. Things do start happening before summer. In just a few short weeks the last Saturday in February will be front and center. That Saturday is the kick-off with Bluegrass all day long in the Municipal Auditorium. Nineteen Bluegrass bands will assemble and commence with pickin’ and singin’. 

What a great way to warm that fallow soil that is our spirit in the grey, cold winter days. The days may be getting longer but there are certain conditions that offset the value of increasing light hours. Well, the cure is at hand, bluegrass and an auditorium full of fun people.

I’m sure that it has occurred to everyone else; maybe I was just a little bit slow in picking up on the fact that Groundhog Day is exactly six weeks to the day from the Vernal Equinox. 

No matter what that silly mammal does there will always be six more weeks of winter. Our only bright spot in this entire predicament is the fact that we live in Missouri. Don’t like the weather right now, wait a few hours and the guarantee is it will change. 

Hang around long enough and you will get to experience your sweet spot in the entire scheme of things. Another upside on this situation is not only will you find your sweet spot; you also know that it will be back again. The fun or frustration is that it could cycle back around quick or it might be a bit. 

Who would possibly want every day to be the same? Day after day of a mild seventy degree temperature, soft breezes and all the clouds would be fluffy, white and cheerful. Man, what a boring existence. Can’t you just see how good we have it?



Well, I’m stoked now from all of this cheery conversation. My apologies, I know that you are just reading and not in a conversation, but on this end there is an entire conversation taking place. We’re having conversations about the weather, about the events, about the days getting longer, conversations about an entire litany of things. 

That my friend is what winter does to you. Get all pumped up about the days getting longer and the next thing you know a cold breeze shoots up your skirt or a couple days of snow hits us in the …… well needless to say we’ll need another dose of some cure for sure. Bluegrass, like Robitussin, only lasts for a few hours.

(Paul Richardson is public relations director and events manager for the City of Neosho.)

1 comment:

Steve Holmes said...

I like this guy, and I like bluegrass. Please keep him around, Randy.

When I was a kid, Joplin got its biggest snowstorms in March, just when people had let their guard down.