Friday, September 29, 2017

Cleaver addresses NFL protests

(From Fifth District Congressman Emanuel Cleaver)

I thought I would share with you the same letter I sent to my colleagues on the House this week. Lately, I have been contemplating the President’s response to numerous athletes’ peaceful protests during the National Anthem. This is what I would have liked to hear him say:

My Fellow Americans,

Tonight, with heartache and frustration, I must report that our beloved nation is perilously divided. Over the past few nights, I have agonized over the fact that we have made progress on race relations but the controversy surrounding the refusal by some African American NFL athletes to stand during the ritualistic pre-game singing of the National Anthem has revealed that on the issue of race, our once fast-paced progress has stagnated. 
 
I fully understand that many of you, honest and hardworking Americans, find offensive the kneeling during the singing of the National Anthem. While I would choose to protest in a different manner, I frequently recall the words I uttered at my inauguration on January 20, 2017, “I do solemnly swear…to the best of my ability to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.” Any American has the constitutional right to protest, and even if I disrelish this form of protest, as the president of this great nation, I will and I must defend and respect their incontrovertible, guaranteed right to kneel during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner. And I will honor my pledge that I made upon taking office, a pledge which was purified by the blood of those Americans who selflessly fought to their dying breath for the freedoms we enjoy.

Finally, we must bring to a halt our mutating political and racial tribalism or it will bring to an arrest our capacity to “form a more perfect union.” We must proudly become the blessed nation that tolerance built. And, in an attempt to turn down the volume and volatility in the public square, I will hold a series of meetings here in the White House where I, along with Congressional leaders, can better inspire a new tone as we seriously discuss the issues that launched the protest in the first place. If our nation is to continue its euphuistic pursuit of that more perfect union, we must terminate our ultimate allegiance to a race, a tribe, an ideology or a cultural identity. Our destiny is unity not division. When we are engaged in fighting each other, we are unconsciously inviting our adversaries to test us. Yes, it is true that racial minorities see things quite differently from the majority, but our differences do not demand division.

James Baldwin said that “I love America more than any other country in the world and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.” Calling a protester unpatriotic is in and of itself unpatriotic. It reduces patriotism to a falsity.



Warmly,
Cleaver
                        signature
Emanuel Cleaver, II
Member of Congress

4 comments:

Harvey Hutchinson said...

There's more appropriate places to do the protesting

The Supreme Court has already ruled it not a "right" to yell "fire" in a crowded theatre
There are soldiers ( black and white) firing for these prima Donna's to show their asses


Soldiers and sailors pay is 40 thousand per year
NFL jerks average 2 million per year, and papa jerk Roger Goodell is 50 million per year

Anonymous said...

Harvey- when did any NFL player say they are doing this because they hate the military? That is "fake news" They are protesting a social injustice which you fortunately will not have to worry about. I support our law enforcement 100%, they do a thankless job and most are very professional. But the police cannot be batting 1.000 in these brutality cases and shootings. Its on film, we have all seen it. They make mistakes and they should get some leniency, but they are not batting 1.000, sorry to burst your SW MO bubble.

Anonymous said...

Harvey, you and your kind haven't liked anywhere that these people are protesting, I'm just waiting for you guys to propose a First Amendment area for people to gather where they can exercise their rights without offending your sensibilities.

Harvey Hutchinson said...

It’s a wonderful country, Anonymous 9:09
And their are bad apples in law enforcement; and it’s very meet and right to protest it.
However, during the national anthem is NOT the appropriate time and place.
BTW, the NBA has already directed it’s players to show respect; and I believe the African American %age is higher than the NFL

The NFL is already coming around, it’ll blow over in a couple of weeks

Harvey HUTCHINSON 303-522-6622 voice&text