Saturday, September 23, 2017

St. Louis Democrat: The difference between right and wrong

(From Rep. Stacey Newman, D-St. Louis)

I keep coming back to what I know.

What I know is the distinct difference between Right and Wrong.

Regardless of race, faith, gender identity, age, party preference ---we each need to distinguish between Right and Wrong and recognize justice or the lack of justice when we see it.

I've faced the question of Right and Wrong numerous times in committee or on the House floor when we vote on bills and amendments. Through many discussions on ethics (especially with fabulous 4th graders at Saul Mirowitz Community Jewish School who love to challenge me on ethics) I've developed a personal litmus test of Right and Wrong by evaluating the consequences of legislation on real people.

I keep it simple. If a bill has horrific consequences such as the 2017 law enforcement bill (HB57) that puts my own colleagues in further danger with measures that allow racial targeting ---it is Wrong. Even with Democratic votes, it was still Wrong.

Proposals like SB43 (now signed into law) which make it easier for businesses to discriminate and harder for whistleblowers to speak up - is Wrong. Bills which interfere with private legal medical decisions and medical professionals like SB5, (also now law) which are filed in masse every year targeting women are Wrong.

No comments: