The board announced the five finalists in a news release earlier this week:
* Terry R. Adams, Ph.D., Lake Saint Louis, Mo., previously served as superintendent in Rockwood and Wentzville School Districts.
* Douglas D. Hayter, Ed.D., Walnut Shade, Mo., currently serves as superintendent in Branson School District.
* Charles J. Huff, Ed.D., Joplin, Mo., currently serves as superintendent in Joplin School District.
* Norman F. Ridder, Ed.D., Imperial, Mo., currently serves as interim superintendent of Mehlville School District and previously served as superintendent in Springfield School District.
* Margaret M. Vandeven, Ph.D., O'Fallon, Mo., currently serves as deputy commissioner of education, division of learning services and previously served as assistant commissioner of the office of quality schools.
Reportedly, the new commissioner could be chosen by the end of next week. The board has said the choice will be made by the end of the month. December 31 will be the last day for current Commissioner Chris Nicastro, who is retiring.