Sunday, August 11, 2019

Kim Frencken: Back to school

Starting school is bittersweet. The chaos of summer is over. The chaos of the school year is about to begin.

 Good-bye late nights. Hello early mornings. 

 Naps will be tucked away until the weekend or a school break. So long schedule free days. Planning begins in full force. Plan what you're going to wear. Plan your lunch. Plan your meals. Plan your doctor and dentist visits. Plan your schedule. Plan your lessons. Plan. Plan. Plan. 

 Dust off the alarm clock and get ready to bounce out of bed and into the lives of your kids. School is starting.

Am I the only one that had a to-do list a mile long? Am I the only one who planned on doing everything during summer break? I know I'm not the only one that didn't succeed in completing all of their summer projects. I'm almost in panic mode. I can't sleep. All I want to do is complete the items on my to-do list. I guess I was a little too ambitious. Or maybe I took too many naps.

I'm at the threshold. The email will arrive any day now. You know. The email that informs you of when and where to be. What meetings are mandatory. What time it all starts. That email. The one that makes your hands tremble and your vision blur. Summer vacation is passing right before your very eyes. You blink... You get the picture. 








I do have to confess that although I am stressed about not finishing a million projects, I am ready to see those smiling little faces. And, even though I'm not looking forward to spending time in faculty meetings, I am anxious to see my school friends. I know we've kept up through social media, but that isn't quite the same. I am ready to jump into my classroom and get it ready for the kiddos.

I am not ready to deal with that parent, or that duty assignment, or that responsibility. But those are minor irritations in the scheme of things (at least I hope they are!). Bottom line: No one loves summer break or snow days more than a teacher, but then no one loves that first day of school like a teacher.

I'm willing to set my alarm clock and lose a little sleep. I'm willing to stress over lessons and grades. I'm willing to put in long days and extra time on week-ends. In the end, it's all worth it!

(For more of Kim Frencken's writing and information about her educational products, check out her blog, Chocolate For the Teacher.)

No comments: