Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Deaton; New elementary school will be point of light, symbol of pride for Goodman community

(From Rep. Dirk Deaton, R-Noel)

In April of 2017 an EF-2 tornado hit Goodman. In its path of destruction was the Goodman Elementary School.

For the past two years the students have taken residence in other schools within the Neosho School District. As of the 2019-2020 school year these students are able to return to the newly rebuilt Goodman Elementary.

On Monday a grand opening and ribbon cutting was held at the school. 

It was hot enough to warrant a heat advisory outside, but inside the air conditioning was working well! There was a large crowd of staff, parents, students, and community members on hand for the historic occasion. 

I had the honor of presenting a House Resolution to recognize the occasion. I also presented the school with a State of Missouri and an American flag for them to fly from their newly installed flag poles. 








During my short remarks, I made the point that while we would not wish the hardship of the last two years on any student, I am confident that the lessons they learned in perseverance and resolve will serve them well throughout life.

Monday was not my first time in the new school. I had the opportunity to tour the school twice during the construction process. 

For this I must thank the Vice-President of the Neosho School Board, Jonathan Russell, for setting up these tours. 

Branco Enterprises did an impressive job completing the project on a compressed schedule with numerous rain delays. The school is unlike any I have ever seen. I say that in the most complementary way. 

This place will never be accused of being dull or drear. It has a very welcoming atmosphere and is thoughtfully laid out. There is little doubt this will quickly become a point of light and a symbol of pride for the entire Goodman community.

No comments: