Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Troy Onstott's outing to Chiefs training camp, plus a special gift from his therapists

The besi medicine for a football-loving kid is an outing to the training camp of his favorite pro team.

Troy Onstott, 10, son of T. J and Jill Onstott of Lamar's time at Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City is winding down, but not before a day outing to the Kansas City Chiefs training camp and a special gift from Troy's therapists showing what an impact he had made on them.

Jill Onstott tells the story in her latest Facebook update.

Days 41-42

41: CHIEFS TRAINING CAMP AND CABELAS RECAP

Troy woke up at 5:30am, talking our ear off excited for his 6 hours of freedom! 

The last time he was in a vehicle was the week before for his outing with his therapists. He got car sick, felt so bad that he threw up. Luckily I was prepared enough to have a sack ready for him. 

This time was better but he still felt cruddy. He sat in the front this time so I think that helped but praying this improves each time he gets in the car. 

We made it to training camp early, it was cloudy most of the morning so the temps were perfect. We went straight to the VIP tent where Troy got unlimited gatorade and TJ unlimited coffee. 

It’s the little things that make my boys happy! 

When camp ended, we were exactly where we needed to be for easy autographs. Troy was able to add to his autograph collection on his Chiefs football but when Mahomes started to head up the hill, he hopped on a golf cart and drove right by us. Dang the luck. Maybe next time. 










From there, we ate lunch at Longhorn where Troy enjoyed a yummy steak and cold root beer.
And then off to Cabela’s where he spent his gift cards/money in 2.2 seconds.
I’m so thankful for our special day together, it was definitely a memorable experience spent with our miracle boy.

42: Pool time! Troy told us, “I think I can hold my breath longer now than I could before my accident.” I’m really not sure but his determination is an all-time high!

Troy’s therapists surprised us today in their TroyBoy shirts so Troy surprised them with a little something to remember him by. I can’t say enough about these girls. They have been with him since day 6 in the PICU (I shared a pic of day 7). So they have seen him from the very beginning. At that time, I remember so badly wanting them to know what kind of kid our Troy was. So I told them. And then I told them that I hope one day they get to meet that boy. Fast forward to today...they have met our Troy, and they love him just as we all do

God- Just as Troy swims deeper and lungs grow stronger, our love for you grows deeper and trust grows stronger. I am so thankful for the girls you put in our path to care for Troy. I pray for our future therapists. You already know who they are and I trust in your plan to heal Troy completely.

“For I am the Lord your God, who holds your right hand, who says to you, ‘DO NOT FEAR, I WILL HELP YOU’”
Isaiah 41:13
AMEN


No comments: