Saturday, August 03, 2019

A tough day for 10-year-old Troy Onstott as he realizes he will not play football this year

One of the toughest experiences a child has to go through is the realization that a cherished dream is not going to come true.

That realization came to Troy Onstott, 10-year-old son of T. J. and Jill Onstott, Lamar, as he continues to recover at Children's Mercy Hospital, Kansas City, from a UTV accident that occurred a month ago.

The good news for the boy is that his hard work is continuing to pay off and while his goal won't be reached this year, it may well lie in the future for him.

Jill Onstott tells the story in today's Facebook update:

Day 31:

Yesterday was a tough day. 

TJ and I didn’t know how we would tell him but we didn’t have to. Yesterday, Troy realized he wouldn’t get to play football. His heart broke. TJ’s heart broke. 

I couldn’t imagine not being here for him as he slowly learns about these things. Troy told us with tears rolling down his face that he was going to “FIGHT SO HARD” (and then momma’s heart broke). 

I don’t know what Troy’s future holds, it wasn’t long ago that we just wanted him to be able to walk again. So the fact that he wants to fight to get back on that field seems absolutely crazy to me. And we’ll cross that bridge when we get there but for now, Troy is setting his goals high and I’m not about to slow him down. 

He received a couple cards yesterday and up until now, I’ve been opening them. I asked if he’d like to start opening his cards. Well he couldn’t get through them. This boy has a heart of gold. Always has. God is working through his heart, I can see it. And like I told him from day one, everything is gonna be ok. 










I apologize that I didn’t catch Troy’s rehab success. I ended up moving us to a different room (AGAIN) while TJ took Troy to therapy. But while this was an emotional heavy day, Troy continued to kill it. Squats, lunges, high knees. I can’t imagine how hard that must be but there’s no stopping this kid.

God- Your faithfulness in evident. I have prayed this over Troy every day and today we prayed it together: Lord, thank you for your greatness. Thank you that when I am weak, you are strong. Lord, the Devil is scheming and I know he desires to keep me from spending time with you. Don’t let him win. Give me a measure of your strength so that I might not give into discouragement, deception and doubt. Help me honor you in all my ways.

And God, we beg you to heal sweet little Graham who is here fighting for his life. We don’t understand why but please don’t allow his family go there, I pray that they lift their burdens to you Lord and trust that you’ve got this.

In Jesus’ Name
Amen.


No comments: