Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The future of the Turner Report/Inside Joplin

That headline sounds ominous, except perhaps for those people out there (you know who you are), who wish the Turner Report would fold its tent and slink away into the night.

That's not happening.

The Turner Report and the three blogs to which I have devoted the most attention- Inside Joplin, Inside Joplin Obituaries, and Turner Resports- are not going anywhere, and I plan to keep building on them and improve the quantity and quality of the information you receive from each.

Like public radio and PBS, the amount of coverage I can do is determined largely by the number of people who subscribe or contribute. I am thankful to those who have subscribed since the new subscription model of $1 per week, $3 per month, and $30 per year was unveiled in November.

I am also appreciative of those who have contributed whatever they could to help the cause and let's face it, that is exactly what this is, a cause that is designed to provide Joplin and area readers with news they do not get from the area's newspaper of record or from other local media, and commentary on issues that affect us.

This is my version of a pledge break. I have not done it often, but it needs to be done. While the number of subscribers has continued to increase, it is only a small percentage of the 5,000 to 6,000 people who read the Turner Report on its slow days, and a much smaller percentage of the 25,000 to 30,000 the blog reaches two or three days each month.

While the Turner Report provides investigative reporting, news on state and federal government and education, commentary, and frequent updates when we face serious weather problems, Inside Joplin has continued to grow in its role as the record page with police blotter information, accidents, road closings, meeting agendas, etc.

Inside Joplin Obituaries provides free obituaries and it is easily searchable.

The Turner Resports has provided live coverage of area sporting events, extensive coverage of Missouri Southern athletics, and I have plans for future growth, which I will write about at a later date.

Those who subscribe will receive the 100-page preview of my upcoming book Silver Lining in a Funnel Cloud: How Greed and Corruption Destroyed the Joplin Tornado Recovery.

Those who contribute $50 or more, or current $30 subscribers who contribute an additional $20
will receive a signed copy of the paperback when it is published.

If you feel like the Turner Report/Inside Joplin is performing an important service to the community and providing the kind of news, information, and commentary that the community needs, as well as providing a much-needed alternative to the Joplin Globe, please think about voicing your support with a subscription or contribution.

The subscription information is at the bottom of this post.

Now for some other information about the Turner Report and about other related writing activities:

-The Turner Report recently passed 23,000 posts. The thanks for that goes to the readers.

-I will be at the Joplin Public Library 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, April 4, for a book signing, along with other local authors. I will have more information closer to the date.

-Work is progressing on Silver Lining. The date of its completion depends on what happens over the next few weeks. As I was writing the first chapters, I never would have thought that I would already be writing about the departure of Wallace-Bajjali and I certainly never thought I would have to write about the suicide of the state auditor. Barring unforeseen circumstances (and those could very well occur) the book should be published in May.
***
For those who would like to subscribe or contribute, but do not want to use PayPal or a credit card, please send your contribution to 2306 E. 8th, Apt. G, Joplin, MO 64801.

Payment Options
Support the Turner Report

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind subscribing, but I am concerned that someone at my bank or some other way may get back to my employer. Joplin is still a small town and I know that people talk. So how can one subscribe securely?

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work. I aaam sick of the Globe cover ups...

Anonymous said...

Anonymous @6:41 PM: Send Randy one or more "small, unmarked bills" wrapped in a sheet of paper, or an anonymously bought money order, to the address he posted above. 100% legal, the envelope will almost certainly get there, and there's no practical way of tracing that.

Anonymous said...

I contributed solely based on the David Wallace coverage provided. I'm not a resident of Joplin so nothing else really matters to me here. DW for those that don't know was on the front page of the Houston Chronicle in Sunday's paper. Very good read, unless you are David Wallace or his skank wife.

Anonymous said...

anonymous @ 641pm could meet in a parking garage at night and exchange the money. Stay in the shadows, and leave the money wrapped in a brown paper bag near the pillar on the second floor. Wear a red carnation....